FACTS & FIGURES
85% of the 300 tonnes waste generated each day goes to landfill.
76,141 metric tonnes of CO2 emission are produced*
10950 truckloads of waste collected *
* Annual Statistics of Mangaluru City
Information, Education and Communication programme designed to raise public awareness and understanding of the relevant issues relating to Municipal Solid Waste Management, comprising a set of targeted campaigns. The public are the major customers of the Municipal Solid Waste service, but only a small proportion of these customers are typically aware of what happens to their waste, and the full extent of services being provided by the municipality. Further, there is often limited awareness of the potential health, safety and environmental impacts associated with poor waste management or the benefits of recycling and resource conservation
WHY IEC ?
The aim is to develop ways to mobilise the public and other stakeholders to support the city’s SWM implementation plan. This will require a well-planned execution of public awareness and education program that will roll-out with the Collection & Transportation System.
- 70 Public areas activated.
- IEC seminars in 120 schools.
- Awareness drives in 40 apartments.
- 30000 Information hand delivered.
- 20 permanent informing hoardings fixed.
- 25000 information leaflets / strategic stickers dispatched.
- On-the-go awareness created via 400 Auto Rickshaws.
- 15 Clean up drives.
- Perception created through 1200 fixed Placards.
- 3 Malls activated through various outreach activities.